There are times when one feels down without ascertaining whether it’s a short lived or here to stay crises that call for help. For majority its short term and for unfortunate minority it’s the otherwise. Short term depression is self-healing but those diagnosed with long term depression, medical treatment is indispensable. In this blog we will examine mental health and correlated issues.
- Feeling depressive and irritant mood swing that spans for two weeks or more. It stems from recalling or fretting over past or over concerned about future. Another reason may be inner sadness, anguish etc. The change is slow and the victim is unconscious in most cases. Do peers and relatives observe a change in your behavior?
- Loss of interest in routine activities. Spending more time in isolation and less with friends and family, abstaining from visit to the gym, growing lack of interest in social activities like a dinner out with friends, going to Cinema etc. are cause for concern. No one can dictate your life style; however a sudden change in behavior pattern is an indicator that something is wrong.
- Concentration crises. Loss of concentration noticed when doing routine things in life such as reading, watching TV or distracted whilst in a spoken conversation. This is damaging to professional work and mundane tasks like shopping etc. However, if your concentration has always been erratic in your highs and lows, and you have managed it well then there is no cause for concern.
- The above list of indicators are not the only measure of Depressions. There are host of other internal developments that helps to understand these symptoms. Also there is a wide range of depressions with different or sometimes same indicator symptoms. There is a plethora of information accompanied by case studies for reading available in soft and hard copies.
- It is advised to initiate the treatment first with a GP. The GP after diagnosis will determine the prognosis and subsequently advise further action . Depending on the case diagnosed by GP, either he/she will provide treatment or if needed , will refer to the specialist. However, if you feel you need the services of a mental Health professional, your best option is to consult a psychiatric.
- All mental health conditions follow the “The rule of thirds” and same applies to depression. The rule simple stated is that one third will make full recovery, the other third only partial and final third no recovery at all!
- There are multiple factors attributed to mental health crises and its treatment. The age, family history, duration of symptoms and co-occurring mental health crises.
- Some experts postulate that relapse of depressions further deepens depression equal to the number of recurrences. Severe depression can also induce the patience to contemplate suicide.